Frequently Asked Questions

Stefan Malzkorn

Studying part-time at HSBA – FAQ:

What is the difference between a dual and a part-time degree programme?

A dual course of study combines career training with academic study, enabling the student to combine practical work experience with gaining an academic degree (at HSBA this is the Bachelor of Science (BSc)). Theoretical phases (at the university) and practical phases (at the company) alternate roughly every three months.

In the part-time programmes students acquire an academic qualification alongside their job - at HSBA this is the Master of Science (MSc). Teaching at the university takes place on extended weekends and in some full-time weeks allowing the student to follow through with their day job. 

What are the advantages of the part-time Master’s degree at HSBA?

Due to the part-time structure, the master's programmes provide a unique opportunity to qualify oneself while receiving a salary at the same time. In addition, the content learned can be applied directly in practice and vice versa.

Is the quality of the HSBA degree comparable with a university degree?

Yes. As a state-recognised university HSBA offers accredited courses with high practical relevance.

Does the qualification entitle me to pursue doctoral studies?

Yes, the master's degrees of HSBA entitle the students to pursue to doctoral studies. During the application process HSBA makes sure that after finishing their studies, HSBA students have at least 300 ECTS (European Credits) and can proceed to doctoral studies. As a result each course has different admission criteria.

Application and Admission

Is it possible to study a part-time master without having a job?

Yes, to study a master at HSBA you do not need to have a working contract.

When do I have to apply?

Applications can be handed in at any time. But since HSBA has a limited capacity of students per course and some grants and scholarships are awarded on a first-come-first-serve basis, we recommend to apply early.

If you want to apply for the Job & Master programme we recommend you to apply even earlier due to the longer procedure of the application.

Can I already apply for the MSc programme even if I am still studying?

Yes, you can already apply for the study course even if you are still studying. Please then attach a transcript of records to your application documents. 

I do not have a business administration or economics degree, but I did do something related to management. Can I apply for the MSc?

Graduates can be admitted when business modules as well as methods modules formed more than 50% of the obtained ECTS.

Business and methods modules for examples are:

  • Business Administration
  • Human Resources
  • Operations Management
  • Cost-Performance Analysis
  • Economics (Micro, Macro)
  • Financial Accounting
  • Business Law
  • Business English
  • Mathematics
  • Statistics
  • Corporate Taxation
  • Marketing Management
  • Investing and Financing
  • Strategic Management
  • Projekt Management
  • Quantitative Methods
  • Operations Research
  • Controlling
  • Business Informatics

Particularly important is previous knowledge in the following areas:

  • Economics (Micro, Macro)
  • Accounting
  • Finance
  • Marketing
  • Human Resources

If you are unsure if you can be admitted please send us your transcript of records and module descriptions for review.

I have a foreign university degree without ECTS. How should I proceed?

We need to check whether your degree can be recognised in Germany. Please hand in all your relevant documents, so that we can verify the recognition under German law. In exceptional cases this can take up to six weeks.

If the degree is recognised under German law, we usually accredit 60 ECTS per academic year of full-time study.

I do not have a first university degree: Am I allowed to start a master's programme at HSBA?


Can I still apply even if the grade from my first degree is below 2.5?

Yes, if you have sufficient relevant professional experience. A figure of 0.2 can be credited to your grade for each year of substantiated relevant professional experience.

It should be noted that this professional experience has had to be gained additionally to the professional experience needed to fulfill the other respective admission requirements (MBA or the ECTS-gap). This professional experience may be acquired before or after the first university degree.

How do I provide proof of my ability to complete a course of studies in English?

The minimum level of English should be B2 of the Common European Framework, being comparable to a score of 90 points on the TOEFL. We accept common tests such as TOEFL, Cambridge, IELTS, PTE and DAAD. Study abroad certificate in an English speaking country will be taken into account.

Organisation of the Study Programmes

Is it possible to go on a semester abroad during the master course?

Master students can absolve a semester abroad but it needs to be individually reviewed together with the company.

Generally it is possible to receive credits for the absolved and passed exams and needs to be discussed before going abroad with the international office of HSBA.

You can find more information on the options of studying abroad or a summer school here.

How high is the workload during the studies?

About one-third of the workload consists of contact hours, whereas the rest is reserved for the preparation of classes and exams. The weekly workload can vary, but allows for a combination of studies and work.

Further Questions

Does HSBA take care of a visa, residence and working permits?

No, the candidates are responsible for these issues. Of course HSBA informs about the regulations and offers help in special cases.

Are the Master's programmes accredited as educational leave times?

In many countries employees are allowed to take educational leave. Germany allows for ten days in a timeframe of two years. The master's programmes of HSBA are accredited by the German authorities, therefore the students benefit from this possibility. The relevant dates are announced in due time.

How can I find a suitable partner company as an employer?

If you have an employer, the first step is to discuss with him the possibility of completing the part-time degree with his support. We will be happy to provide further information for this discussion.