Good reasons for studying abroad
International experience, a knowledge of foreign languages and intercultural competencies are key skills in professional life. This is why HSBA promotes intercultural exchange on all levels. Not only will academic study abroad broaden your technical knowledge: openness to experiencing new things, flexibility, versatility and of course friends from all over the world are just some of the reasons in favour of studying abroad.
On these pages, you can find out about HSBA’s international partnerships and your options for gaining international experience during your studies at HSBA.
The A to Z of studying abroad
The ideal time for a study-abroad period is the third or fourth semester of study, because by then you will already have a good overall grasp of your specialist area. Also, there are still enough courses left that qualify for recognition. On this basis, you can plan your stay and the subjects you want to study while abroad sensibly. In most cases, the semester dates at the foreign university will not correspond fully to the dates at HSBA.As a result, it is important that you discuss your plans with your company and with HSBA at an early stage. Please take account of the following:
- It is not possible to interrupt your traineeship agreement and extend the traineeship beyond the agreed three-year period.
- Study-abroad periods are subject to the approval of your company and HSBA.
- You will continue to receive the traineeship remuneration from your company.
- You will continue to pay the course fees at HSBA and therefore be registered also at HSBA during your stay abroad.
If the period that you would like to spend abroad does not coincide with the theory phase at HSBA or goes on for longer than the theory phase, you have the following options:
- Tell your company about your plans at an early stage and inform the HR officer of your specific intentions. Depending on the exchange option, offer to work ahead or to use part or even all of your annual vacation.
- To the extent possible, you can return to Germany after completing the tuition periods at the host university and can then just travel back for the exams.
- Essentially it is possible to take the written exams of the host university at HSBA. To do this, contact the International Office at your host university abroad as well as the lecturer in question and HSBA. Please be aware that this option involves extra work, particularly for your host university, and should therefore be negotiated as sensitively as possible. This option is linked to costs on the part of HSBA which are listed in the schedule of HSBA services.
Please find here an example on how to organize your study abroad within your dual Bachelor degree programme at HSBA. The specific semester dates of the HSBA partner universities are listed under "Options".
How to get prepared
You are looking for information?
- Visit one of the information sessions offered by HSBA International Office in your first year.
- Read all information provided on these websites.
- Research on your preferred host university, country, culture and the respective higher education system. You may refer to the link tips provided on the right.
- Have a look at the student reports of HSBA students or students of other universities.
- Contact HSBA International Office for any further questions or doubts.
You would like to get prepared for your stay abroad?