What does the Buddy Programme want to do?
The Buddy Programme is intended to help at the start: a buddy is a German student who helps out a foreign student during his/her first six to eight weeks in Hamburg. This ranges from study to life and culture, everything from A to Z.
How can I get a buddy?
Exchange students will automatically be matched with a buddy – so you don’t need to register! Your Buddy will get in contact with you shortly before your exchange starts.
Degree seeking students:
If you are interested in the Buddy Programme just write us an email and we’ll try to find you a buddy who matches. How much time you end up spending with your buddy is, in the end, up to you and your buddy. So that the programme runs as efficiently as possible and to avoid misunderstandings, the following rules apply:
- To enable easier communication we will make both you and your foreign partner’s telephone number, email address, etc available
- If possible, your buddy will pick you up in Hamburg from the station and will show you the way to your accommodation. If you are coming by car, you can arrange a meeting place
- Your buddy will be available at the beginning of the semester (or after your arrival) for 6-8 weeks for at least one hour per week for questions, etc (this will be arranged individually). Whether you become friends, depends, of course, on how well you get along.
- Your buddy is there for you for questions like: where can a go during break time? How do I register with the City of Hamburg? And where is actually the cheapest supermarket?
- Your buddy will take you in the first weeks to at least 1-2 events.
You’d like a buddy? Then register with us now and until minimum 3 months prior to your arrival with our HSBA International Committee.
If you are interested or have questions please contact us under the above link.