The Buddy Programme aims to help foreign students settle into their new life in Hamburg. Each of you can help to make things easier for the students at the beginning of their stay by lending them a helping hand with academic and everyday issues. Take advantage of this great opportunity to experience the international nature of HSBA or to get in the mood for a stay abroad!
What is the idea behind the Buddy Programme?
The Buddy Programme is intended to provide help getting started. A buddy is a German student who helps out a foreign student during his/her first six to eight weeks in Hamburg. This ranges from study-related questions to life and culture, covering everything from A to Z, such as information on red tape and socialising as well as on acceptance onto the course and finding accommodation. If you are interested in the Buddy Programme and you want to register for it here, we will pass on your details to a nice foreign student who with your help will settle into life in Hamburg in no time at all!
What should a buddy do?
The amount of time you spend with your buddy is ultimately up to you and your buddy. In order to run the programme as efficiently as possible and to avoid misunderstandings, the following basic rules apply:
- To communicate more easily, both you and your foreign partner will provide your telephone number, e-mail address, etc.
- For a period of six to eight weeks, you should be available for at least one hour per week for questions etc. (to be arranged individually).
- You will pick up your buddy from the train station or the airport. If he/she is arriving by car, you will arrange to meet him/her once he/she has arrived. You will help him/her to get to his/her accommodation.
- You will be there to answer questions like: How do I open a bank account? How do I register with the authorities in Hamburg? And where is actually the cheapest supermarket?
- You should take your buddy to at least one or two events (parties, concerts, etc. during this six to eight-week period.
What’s in it for you?
- The programme gives you a chance to get to know students from other countries independently of your own stay abroad and thus to make even your time in Hamburg part of the international experience.
- The Buddy Programme provides an excellent opportunity for all those who have already decided to spend a period abroad and for those who are still undecided as to whether a stay abroad is right for them to get a feel for the international experience.
- The obvious advantages are that you have the chance to meet interesting people from other countries and to improve your language skills at the same time. You can also use the experience gained during your time abroad!
- Social and intercultural involvement are additional soft skills that you can add to your CV.
If you would like to become a buddy, register with the HSBA International Committee.